The macOS folders have been blue for many years, although from time to time they have changed the design. If you do not like it you always have the option to change the icon of the folders that you use the most, but what if you only want to change the colour of that folder?
Change the Colour of a Folder in the MacOS Finder
Changing the colour of a Folder in macOS is something that requires to follow these specific steps below, but that can be done without being too expert. Let’s see how.
- In the Finder, select any folder to which you want to change the colour. Then go to the ‘File’ menu and select ‘Show Information’ (you can also do it by pressing CMD + I).
- Click on the icon of the folder above the window that will appear, so that it is selected with blue borders as shown in the above image. Then click on the ‘Edit’ menu and select ‘Copy’ (or press CMD + C).
- Next step: Open Preview and from your ‘File’ menu click on ‘New from clipboard’. Open the high-quality image of the folder icon.
- Now click on the dial button in the toolbar to display all the editing options. Click on ‘Adjust colour’ (the icon is a triangle).
- A pop-up window will appear from which you can change the tones and colors of the folder in various ways. Play with each value until you find the color you like.
- When you have finished, click on the ‘Edit’ menu and then on ‘Select All’ (or press CMD +A). You should have the folder of the selected icon with a box. If you do not get it, use the ‘Rectangular Selection’ tool to do it manually. Then click again on ‘Edit’ and then ‘Copy’ (or press CMD + C).
- Finally, go back to the information window of the folder and click on the ‘Edit’ menu and then on ‘Paste’ (or press CMD `V). The color of the folder should change both in that information window and in the Finder itself.
The change will apply only to that folder, so you can put several colors to several folders if you want to be able to identify them more easily.
Good isn’t it? With this method we can manage different types of folders with different colours to identify them easily. I hope this trick will help you to change the colour of a folder in macOS and make it easier for you. If you have any queries regarding the above method, let us know them in the below comment section and we will get back to you as soon as possible to solve all your queries.
Do you know any other tricks like this? Then write them to us through our Contact us page.