Although Gmail is almost ubiquitous it is by no means the only mail service we can use. In fact, Outlook is installed on most personal computers, as it comes as an add-on to Microsoft’s Windows operating system. Prior to the superiority of Android as a mobile device operating system (with the permission of iOS, of course), Gmail and Outlook were disputing the podium of being the most used mail service.
Today we can use many mail services, but these two are undoubtedly the most used. The problem comes when we use both and we want to synchronise the contacts from Gmail to Outlook or from Outlook to Gmail accounts.
Let’s see how to export Gmail contacts to have them in Outlook and then how to export them from Outlook to Gmail.
How to export contacts from Gmail and import them into Outlook: step-by-step
- First, on your computer, you should go to your Gmail account and select Contacts from the drop-down menu at the top left.
- Now, click on ‘ more’, located in the menu on the left, and choose ‘Export’.
- At present, in some new versions, the export is not supported. Go to the old version to get the export option.
- Then you must choose which contacts to import all the contacts, a group or only some selected. You have three different formats to export them, but the one that interests you is ‘ Outlook CSV format (to import into Outlook or another application)’.
- Then just click on ‘ Export ‘.
- By default, the file will be saved with the name ‘Contacts’, but you can choose both the name and the location of this file.
- Once the export is finished, open the CSV file with Excel if you want to modify or correct some contact data. If not, go directly to Outlook to import them.
Import contacts into Outlook
- Now it’s time to open Outlook and go to the ‘File’ tab.
- In the menu that appears on the left, choose ‘ Open and Export’.
- From the options below, choose ‘ Import from another program or file ‘ and then ‘Next’.
- In the next window select, ‘ Comma separated values ‘ and, again, ‘Next’.
- After this, we will choose the CSV file created by using the ‘Browse’ option. Choose one of the options that appear (the most convenient would be ‘Do not import duplicates’).
- In the next window, you must select ‘Contacts’ as the destination folder (in the Outlook mail account in which you want to import the contacts, in case you have several).
- In the last window, you will have a new option, that of assigning custom fields. This is because some Gmail fields may match those of Outlook, so we have the possibility to select them and join them, as if it were a map, by dragging the value of the CSV file from the right window to the Outlook field, In the window on the left, which we want to assign.
- After this, you just have to click on ‘ Finish ‘ to finish the process.
How to export contacts from Outlook and import them to Gmail
- Let’s now see the opposite operation: choose contacts from our Outlook account and transfer them to the Gmail. As you will see the process is basically the same, but in the opposite direction, as is logical.
- In your Outlook account, open the ‘File’ tab and choose ‘Open and export’ from the menu on the left and then click ‘ Import / Export ‘.
- In the following dialog box select ‘ Export to a file ‘.
- After clicking ‘Next’, a new dialog will appear where you should choose ‘Comma separated values’ and, of course, ‘Next’.
- After that, select ‘Contacts’ in the window and, after clicking ‘Next’, choose the name and place where to save the exported file. As in the reverse case, you can open this CSV file in an Excel sheet to, if you need to, modify some contact.
- Now, in your Gmail account, select ‘ Contacts ‘ again from the drop-down menu on the left.
- In the left part of the screen, open the ‘More’ menu and select ‘ Import ‘.
- Choose the previously saved file and select ‘Import’ so that the Outlook contacts will go to our Gmail account.
Merge contacts in Gmail
Once the contacts are imported from Outlook, you will notice that a new group called ‘Imported … (date of import) ‘ appears in your Gmail account. That’s because this mail service does not automatically merge contacts and we must do it manually as follows:
- Again in the top menu, you should click on the ‘More’ option and, from the options, choose ‘ Search and merge duplicates’.
- You will be presented with a list of all the duplicate contacts that Gmail has found and that, when in doubt, you can check individually.
- Once you are sure that everything is fine, you just have to click on ‘OK’ and you will have finally combined all the contacts between Gmail and Outlook. At least until you change any of them in either of the two post services, because the modifications will not be synchronised automatically and therefore, the changes will not be reflected.
This is all about the exporting contacts from Gmail account to Outlook account and exporting contacts from Outlook account to Gmail account.
If you have any queries regarding the above methods, feel free to ask us in the below comments. We will solve your question as soon as possible. Also if you know any other methods to import and export contacts between Gmail and Outlook which are not mentioned in this article, let us know in the comment section below.
Do you think anything should be added to this article? Then, drop your comments below for the modifications you want.
Which method do you use to import and export contacts between Gmail and Outlook account?