We all know – everyone has a smartphone.
In fact, many people own more than one smartphone. The same can be said about Wi-Fi in the home and workplace – it’s ubiquitous. Everywhere – from the home to the office, retail store, and even a coffee shop.
So it’s no surprise that many people are connected to dozens of Wi-Fi networks – school, home, work, the gym, your friends’ and family’s house. And every time you type in the Wi-Fi password, your Android phone saves it for easy access in the future.
For some people, it is impossible to remember all the passwords.
Usually, there are no direct ways to view an Android WiFi password that you maintain.
If you think finding the WiFi password on Android is a hard nut to crack, then you are wrong.
There are few methods on the internet that require your device to be “rooted” in their implementation. And I will explain the term “rooting” in a moment.
But, don’t worry. It is possible to view Android WiFi passwords without rooting.
What is Rooting?
According to Wikipedia, “Rooting is the process of allowing users of smartphones, tablets and other devices running the Android mobile operating system to attain privileged control (known as root access) over various Android subsystems.”
Many of us have probably used a Windows or Linux computer.
In the case of Windows, when installing a new program or software, it always prompts a dialog box saying, “Administrator permission required to run this program.” If you don’t have the administrator’s permission, you can’t install the program. On Android devices, this is called rooting. In simple terms, it means having the root permission to your phone. Some Android apps will require you the root permission, e.g., flash your ROM.
Before we get into the details on how to view a saved WiFi password on Android without rooting, I found this very useful video online. Please watch the first 60-seconds of this video.
How to View Your Saved WiFi Password on Android Without Rooting
In this method, you can quickly view saved WiFi password on Android. The critical thing is to find a way to fetch the password file from the phone without using a root access protocol on your Android device. For this, you need little programming insight using the Windows Command prompt.
1. Access the Developer authority
- To access the files that Android uses to run passwords, you must “become a developer” for a minute.
- Go to Settings on your Android device. Scroll down and find “About phone.”
- Tap on it and scroll down again to find the Build number.
- Tap on this “build number” 5 to 6 times until a message pops up saying, “You are now a developer”.
2. Enable debugging
- Go back to Settings. Scroll down for developer options.
- Turn on the button for “Android/USB debugging”.
3. Install ADB drivers
- Download and install ADB drivers on your Windows Desktop.
- You need to download and install platform tools (minimal ADB and fast boot) from http://forum.xda-developers.com/
- Now open the folder where you’ve installed the above tools. By default, it is in the Local discCwindowssystem32platform_tools Right-click inside the folder to click on “Open Command Window Here.”
4. Test the ADB
- To do this, connect your phone to the PC.
- In the command prompt, type ADB services and then press enter.
- If it’s working properly, you should see a device on this list.
5. View Android WiFi password
Now, type: ADB pull /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf c:/wpa_supplicant.conf. This will fetch the file from your phone to the local disc C drive of the PC.
6. Open the file with a notepad.
That’s it! Now you can view the presently connected WiFi password on your Android smartphone without rooting it.
If your Android mobile is rooted and you want to find the currently connected WiFi password, then this tutorial should help you to do that. View WiFi Password on Android and iOS Device
- If you are an iPhone or an iPad user. Here is a simple tutorial to view WiFi password on iPhone and iPad.
- If you want to see the currently connected WiFi password on Mac, then this article will help you do it with a step-by-step process.
- Are you a Windows user and want to know the password for your Windows system or laptop? If so, this is for you: Find Current WiFi network Password on Windows 7/8/8.1/10 PC/Laptop
Latest tutorial on JioFi Wifi
I hope this article will guide you successfully to view your Android’s WiFi password without having to root it. If you find this guide useful, share it. If you run into any problems, let us know in the comment section below.